Over the past 50 years, addiction treatment has changed almost beyond recognition. Whereas traditional recovery models such as 12-Step advocated addiction as a sign of moral weakness, more modern approaches accept that it is an illness that can be overcome. These days our attitudes have changed to people struggling with substance use and abuse and we are more accepting of the fact that their negative behavior is beyond their control.
However, one component of addiction treatment that has contributed significantly in the past half-century is the field of psychiatry. Psychiatric treatment for addiction is evidence-based, which means that results are backed by solid research. Psychiatric therapies including CBT are now commonly used in rehab centers like CASA Recovery to allow people to identify the root causes of addiction. Once people are able to recognize where their addictive behavior originates, they are able to change the negative thought patterns and actions driving the illness.
The psychiatric approach to addiction treatment incorporates the following principles, which have been shown to promote long-term sobriety:
– Addiction is an illness that can be treated despite its complexities
– Addiction treatment should last for as long as the individual needs to heal
– Every person should have a personalized treatment plan based on their specific needs
– Treatment should be accessible to everyone
– Counseling and other discussion therapies are effective in combating addiction
– A person can recover from addiction even if they didn’t voluntarily enter rehab
– Treatment should address individuals as a whole person in terms of physical, emotional, and spiritual health
– Addiction medications when used in combination with other therapies provide the most effective component of rehab for many people
Try New Treatments for Addiction at CASA Recovery in San Juan Capistrano
Our understanding of addiction as an illness has never been greater and CASA Recovery offers you the chance to try new treatments for addiction in our tranquil recovery center in Southern California. Don’t feel isolated and alone in your struggles with drugs or alcohol. Contact CASA Recovery in confidence and take the first step towards sobriety today.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAMS OFFERED